MOVIE/BOOK REVIEW ASSIGNMENT:
- Students are required to watch a movie or read a book
- Write a review paper of that movie/book from a psychological perspective
The paper is to be:
- 2 Pages
- Double Spaced
- 12 pt. Times New Roman font
- Normal Margins
- A cover page and reference page must accompany each review
Movie/book selection must be approved by the instructor. When selecting your choice, inform you instructor on:
- The movie or book you will watch/read for this assignment
- Rationale for selection (i.e. why did you pick this movie or book?)
For the review paper, I would like you to discuss the movie from a psychological perspective. Some points of discussion could include (but are not limited to):
- What psychological disorder(s) is/are depicted in the book or movie?
- Did the character(s) seek treatment for the disorder(s)? If so, what was done in therapy? Was it effective? In your opinion, which therapeutic technique(s) would be most successful for this disorder?
- Is the movie or book an accurate portrayal of this disorder? Why or why not?
- Can you relate the film to your life or the life of someone you know? How are your/their experiences similar or different?
- Using your knowledge of psychology, if you were the director of this movie (or author of the book), how would you have directed the film differently to make the movie more accurate or realistic?
If you have any questions abou the assignment, contact Ms. Gowgiel and not the library.
Citing a Movie in APA Style
If you need to cite your movie in your paper, you can do so using the information below. Easybib does have a film choice under all 59 options but to properly cite a movie in APA style, use the following example.
Last Name, A. A. (Producer), & Last Name, A. A. (Director). (Year). Title of motion picture [Motion picture]. Country of origin: Studio.
The Godfather would appear like this in your references:
Ruddy, A.S. (Producer), & Coppola, F.F. (Director). (1972). The Godfather [Motion picture]. United States: Paramount Pictures.
For help finding this info use the Internet Movie Database (IMDB).
Credo Reference Books
We can borrow any book and some DVDs from other libraries. It may take a few weeks so be sure and come see us soon!
Please take a moment to fill out this survey about the library services orientation you attended last week. There are less than 10 questions. There are only 2 questions for comments and those two are optional. Thanks in advance for your participation.
These are the resources we discussed during the library session. If you have any questions, please contact the library.
Other OTC Databases
The following resources have been evaluated by the library staff or your instructor and have been determined to be relevant to your program.
APA Word Templates
The APA sample paper was created by the library staff. Follow the directions and fill in your own information. This sample paper will help you satisfy the format requirements for your instructor. The Word template is more academic in nature and will be more infomation than is required.
Movies in the Library
The library has copies of some of the movies on the approved list available for checkout. DVDs can only be checked out for 1 night. However, students can watch the movie on any computer in the library.